Apple Chips coated with cinnamon that can be prepared in the air fryer, oven, or dehydrator. These easy, healthy baked apple chips are a crispy, delicious snack. Jump to Recipe keyboard_arrow_down
49 CALORIES 13g CARBS 0g FAT 0g PROTEIN
MyWW® SmartPoints™ New!
Apple Chips Recipe
These quick and easy apple chips are the perfect healthy snack – and you can make them in under 15 minutes! There’s no oil, added sugar, or anything else unhealthy – just apples and cinnamon! This makes them perfect for anybody who loves potato chips but needs to avoid salty, fatty foods.
These apple chips are the new favorite snack in our house. It’s no surprise since we love store-bought apple chips, but it has been so much fun to make these at home. It’s also very affordable. You will shocked at how many chips you get out of one apple. Plus you can switch up the seasoning, adding all different seasoning blends to switch up the flavor.
So, I’m going to skip the talking about what ingredients you need since you only need apples and cinnamon. I will, however, make a small comment on how cheap they are since chances are that you already have both ingredients!
Baked chip lovers, you also don’t want to miss these Baked Potato Chips.
How to make apple chips?
There are a few different options for making apple chips. The quickest option is definitely the air fryer but only works if you have one. The oven is another great option, but it is a lengthier process to ensure crispy chips without burning them. The last option is a dehydrator for those who have them.
For all three of these methods, start by:
- Wash and core the apples, or if preferred, leaves the seeds intact. With a mandolin set to 1/8 of an inch or a very sharp knife, slice the apples into round chips.
Air fryer apple chips
The method here is super simple. The prep time is just 5 minutes and they take 8 minutes to cook – just 15 minutes total!
For more in-depth instructions, please scroll down to the recipe card.
- Preheat the air fryer
- Slice the apples very thinly
- Toss the apples to coat with cinnamon
- Put the apple slices in a single layer in the air fryer.
- Cook, flipping if needed
See? Super simple!
How to Make Apple Chips in the Oven
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees F and set the racks in the upper and lower positions. Prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the apples in a single layer and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake for one hour. Remove and flip the apples. Return to the oven for an additional 60-75 minutes, depending on exact thickness.
- To test for doneness, remove one apple chip from the oven and let sit for 3-4 minutes. If it is crispy, it is ready. If not, continue cooking in 15 minute increments.
Dehydrating Apples to Make Chips
- Start by tossing the apple slices with lemon juice to prevent browning. Since these take a long time to dehydrate, this prevents browning.
- Place in a single layer on the dehydrator.
- Dehydrate for 8-12 hours, depending on exact thickness. Check at 8 hours. If they are still chewy, continue to cook until crispy.
What type of apples is best for chips?
Almost any variety can be used for this recipe. Normally I use whatever apples I have in the at home or what’s on sale. With that said, some favorites include Honeycrisp for a sweet crispy and Granny Smith for something tart.
What should I serve with apple chips?
I like to serve my apple chips with caramel sauce, but for a slightly lighter option, why not try some low-fat caramel yogurt? It gives you the sweetness and richness, but with less calories – and bonus points if it’s full of probiotics and protein too!
Or, why not try them with my brownie batter chocolate hummus? It’s a deliciously sweet and chocolatey dip that’s absolutely perfect with these air fryer apple chips.
Other Baked Chip Options
Of course, we all know potato chips, but there are many other common alternatives to chips:
What should I make next?
Personally, I’d recommend my easy, healthy, microwave veggie chips – they’re so tasty and speedy to make! I love to serve them with a light ranch dressing dip or even some salsa! Plus, you can sprinkle your favorite dried herbs, spices and seasonings over them to make them any flavor you like!
Or, for another fruity snack, why not try grilling up some bananas? They’re super healthy – and absolutely delicious with chocolate sauce! They’re especially perfect as a dessert on hot summer days when you’ve got the grill out anyway – and it’s practically guaranteed that the whole family will love them!
Although, if you’re specifically looking for sweet apple treats, my lightened up apple butter might be more your sort of thing – it’s incredible spread on pretty much anything and everything!
However, you might also like my no-bake brownie balls! They’re rich, chocolatey and gooey – even better than an actual brownie! Plus, they’re easy to transport and nibble on-the-go. I mean, who doesn’t want to be able to nibble brownies anywhere and everywhere?
Or, for another apple treat, there’s always these delicious grilled apples! They can be made in a foil pack straight on the campfire, and they taste just like apple pie filling!